- 2017 In collaboration with the National Institute for Christian Education Research and Canterbury Christ Church University- an investigation into [perceptions of] the features of Christian foundation universities’ Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes that are particular to the university’s Christian foundation.
- 2016-2017 ‘Big Ideas’ led by Professor Michael Reiss from UCL Institute of Education, London. The aim of the project is to address issues concerning curriculum content selection, curriculum coherence and subject relevance in Religious Education (RE) in the 21st century by applying the theory of ‘Big Ideas’. The outcome of the project will be the identification of Principles and Big Ideas for RE, which can then be used as criteria for selecting and sequencing subject content.
- 2016-2019 ‘Learn Teach Lead RE’ Primary RE teaching in the North West. The programme is funded by the Culham St Gabriel Trust and is the fourth area of the programme (www.ltlRE.org). Working on the steering group and in partnership with local schools and Universities to help raise the profile and impact of the teaching of RE. It aims to support all students, teachers and leaders of RE through developing a common understanding of effective teaching and learning. The project will include organisation of local hub activities and an annual Northern Conference. The grant is for 2016 (April) -2018.
- 2013/14- RE Quality Mark. Lead University in a pilot scheme for REQM schools to engage in classroom based research surrounding RE pedagogy. 3 schools in Cheshire are undertaking research in areas of e-learning; drama and creativity. Providing support, mentoring, expertise and the writing of research reports.
- 2013- RE Council of England and Wales Subject Review of Religious Education 3-19 Member of Task Group Two. This project addressed on behalf of the RE Community as a whole four specific recommendations established by Phase One of the Review and supported by feedback gathered through the consultation process. This group developed and enacted practical strategic responses to four specific recommendations of Phase One of the RE Review. Characteristic to these recommendations is a concern with how RE in England ought to be structured and sustained in the future. The specific recommendations with which this group’s work were concerned are:
- 2011-2012- Reviving Palestinian Schools: Investing in classroom teachers program (5-9 years). This involves meeting with Palestinian colleagues in Chester and teaching model lessons; and reviewing course proposals for implementation at Bethlehem University
- 2005 Member of a PCFRE/RE Today Working Group to develop Assessment for Learning Resources for use within Religious Education. Across the Key Stages
- 2016 External adviser/ validator BA and MA Jewish Education London School of Jewish Studies, affiliated with the University of Middlesex
- 2013 University of Chester, Chair of Validation Panel for MA Theology and the Media
- 2013 University of Central Lancashire. External validator for MA History and Education.
- 2013 University of Central Lancashire. External validator for MA Modern Languages and Education.
- 2012 Bethlehem University, Advisor to the construction of ED451 Religious Educational Tools and Equipment Providing a critical eye to the course documentation, structure, module descriptors, assessment requirements, teaching methods and bibliography.
- 2012 Bethlehem University, Advisor to the construction of Religious Education in Low Primary Stage (1-4). Providing a critical eye to the course documentation, structure, module descriptors, assessment requirements, teaching methods and bibliography.
- May 2012 University of Central Lancashire. External validator for MA Religion and Education.
- 2012 Bhaktivedanta College, Belgium. Advisor to the steering and validation of BA (Hons) Theology and Education. Providing a critical eye to the course documentation, structure, module descriptors, assessment requirements, teaching methods and bibliography.
- March 2009 Delivered “New Religious Movements in British Society and Culture” to Undergraduate (Level 3) and Master’s Students in the Theology/ Religious Studies Dept of the University of Chester
- 2008 Advisor to the Abrahamic Religions Project at the University of Manchester
- 1997-2009 Visiting Lecturer in Religious Education at Manchester Metropolitan University. This included delivering lectures, marking assignments, completing school visits. In 2008 leadership of the RE aspect of the Secondary course was assumed for 3 months as a result of staff illness.
- 2016 Secondary School in Cheshire working with the RE department to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE at GCSE.
- 2016 Harris Academies Trust, London working with the RE departments to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE at GCSE.
- 2016 Secondary School in Tameside working the RE department to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE at GCSE.
- 2016 Secondary School in Brighouse working the RE department to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE at GCSE.
- 2013 Working with RE department in a Liverpool school to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE from Years 7-13.
- 2012 Working with the RE department of a Chester school to establish vision, structure, documentation and resources for the teaching of RE from Years 7-13.
- 2012- Working with RE department of a Flintshire school to raise achievement at GCSE.
- 2012 Wiltshire SACRE/ RE Today. Review of additional religions material for inclusion in Agreed Syllabus.
- 2011- ICS Home Learning. Review of A-Level course material for suitability and compatibility with AQA specification requirements.
- 2010- present Advisor and training provider for the Cheshire Constabulary in the “Educating against Extremism” schools project.
- February 2009 Delivered “Challenging Hompohobia” training day to staff of Parrs Wood High School
- 2006-2008 Delivered a variety of training courses to Primary and Secondary Schools in Manchester including RE for the Gifted and Talented, Levels in RE, and Effective teaching ideas for the Foundation Stage, KS1, KS2, KS3 and KS4.
- May 2006 Delivered Teaching Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism across the Key Stages Course at Oundle School, Peterborough.
- November 2005 – August 2009 Keynote Educational Course Leader
Design and delivery of national courses on “How to Deliver Outstanding GCSE RE Lessons”; “Variety: Adding the Spice in Teaching AS/A Level Religious Studies”; “ Teaching Outstanding RE Lessons”; “Teaching Judaism, Christianity and Islam across the Key Stages”; “Teaching Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism across the Key Stages”; “Assessment in RE across the Key Stages”; “Achieving A* and A’s at GCSE RE”; “Teaching GCSE RS for the first time”; “Raising the bar: C/D borderline at GCSE RS”. Most of these were delivered a number of times; all to very positive evaluations.
Charity and Organisational Consultancy
- Trustee and Board Member of the RE Council of England and Wales (2015-)
- 2016- Present Expert Subject Adviser, Ofqual
- 2016 ‘Expert Judge’ Ofqual. This research looked at changes in candidate performance over time in a small sample of GCSE subjects including Religious Studies.
- 2015 Writer of the new GCSE Specification and GCE Specification for Religious Studies; Pearson Education.
- 2014 Adviser/ Compiler of report into the place of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Iran for an immigration/asylum case. Instructed by Wilson Solicitors LLP, Tottenham, London
- 2014 Faith adviser to Religious Education Council Qualification Committee on the implementation of the new requirements for GCSE and A Level Religious Studies
- 2012 Edexcel- Scrutineer for final check of selected GCSE Religious Studies papers. Checking that the paper meets the demands of the specification and is suitable for sitting by candidates.
- 2007-2008 Regional Subject Advisor for QCA/NATRE New Secondary Curriculum
- 2006- 2010 Advisor to the Muslim Youth Foundation in Educational Resources